Woman arrested for bullets in bag at Cebu airport; authorities deny ‘laglag bala’ | ABS-CBN
ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!
Woman arrested for bullets in bag at Cebu airport; authorities deny ‘laglag bala’
Woman arrested for bullets in bag at Cebu airport; authorities deny ‘laglag bala’
The Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) denied Wednesday allegations of a “laglag bala” modus following the arrest of a passenger whose bag was found with four pieces of live ammunition.
The Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) denied Wednesday allegations of a “laglag bala” modus following the arrest of a passenger whose bag was found with four pieces of live ammunition.
The 47-year-old passenger was on her way to Tacloban City last Thursday when an x-ray machine beeped during her boarding gate check.
The 47-year-old passenger was on her way to Tacloban City last Thursday when an x-ray machine beeped during her boarding gate check.
MCIA released a cellphone video taken by their security screener as the yellow bag was flagged. Upon inspection, bullets were found inside a blue pouch.
MCIA released a cellphone video taken by their security screener as the yellow bag was flagged. Upon inspection, bullets were found inside a blue pouch.
“For the record, there has been no incident of laglag bala at the Mactan Cebu International Airport from as far back as I can remember (back until 2016 I believe). If a bullet or bullets are found in someone’s bag, it was brought by the passenger intentionally or accidentally,” MCIA Aviation Authority General Manager Julius Neri said.
“For the record, there has been no incident of laglag bala at the Mactan Cebu International Airport from as far back as I can remember (back until 2016 I believe). If a bullet or bullets are found in someone’s bag, it was brought by the passenger intentionally or accidentally,” MCIA Aviation Authority General Manager Julius Neri said.
ADVERTISEMENT
“It was not planted there,” he said in a statement, adding that CCTVs around the airport monitor workers.
“It was not planted there,” he said in a statement, adding that CCTVs around the airport monitor workers.
The Aviation Security Group said the passenger “failed to present documents authorizing her to possess ammunition”, which led to her arrest.
The Aviation Security Group said the passenger “failed to present documents authorizing her to possess ammunition”, which led to her arrest.
Authorities also found out that the pouch was not hers but owned by the company where she works at. She allegedly did not know that it was in her bag.
Authorities also found out that the pouch was not hers but owned by the company where she works at. She allegedly did not know that it was in her bag.
The traveler, who is a human resources manager and a resident of Lapu-Lapu City, will face charges for violating the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act and the election gun ban.
The traveler, who is a human resources manager and a resident of Lapu-Lapu City, will face charges for violating the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act and the election gun ban.
Last week, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) denied that the "tanim-bala" or "bullet-planting" modus in Philippine airports has returned, following incidents of passengers getting caught with ammunition in their luggage this month.
Last week, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) denied that the "tanim-bala" or "bullet-planting" modus in Philippine airports has returned, following incidents of passengers getting caught with ammunition in their luggage this month.
Based on initial investigations, authorities said it was likely that the passengers had accidentally packed the bullets.
Based on initial investigations, authorities said it was likely that the passengers had accidentally packed the bullets.
“We don’t believe that tanim bala is back… Aaminin natin kung may problema, aaminin natin pag may pagkakamali, aaksyunan po natin yan. Pero kapag may ganitong sitwasyon na klaro namang hindi nagkamali ang ating OTS peronnel, kailangan din nating ipakita yan. Unfair naman po sa kanila,” DOTr Secretary Vince Dizon said Friday.
“We don’t believe that tanim bala is back… Aaminin natin kung may problema, aaminin natin pag may pagkakamali, aaksyunan po natin yan. Pero kapag may ganitong sitwasyon na klaro namang hindi nagkamali ang ating OTS peronnel, kailangan din nating ipakita yan. Unfair naman po sa kanila,” DOTr Secretary Vince Dizon said Friday.
He said this should also serve as a reminder to the public to be wary of accepting packages to bring along during their travel.
He said this should also serve as a reminder to the public to be wary of accepting packages to bring along during their travel.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT