S. Korea to overhaul some airports after Jeju Air crash | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

S. Korea to overhaul some airports after Jeju Air crash

S. Korea to overhaul some airports after Jeju Air crash

Agence France-Presse

Clipboard

Firefighters and rescue personnel carry the body of a victim near the scene where a Jeju Air Boeing 737-800 series aircraft crashed and burst into flames at Muan International Airport in South Jeolla Province, some 288 kilometers southwest of Seoul on December 29, 2024. Jung Yeon-je, AFP/FileFirefighters and rescue personnel carry the body of a victim near the scene where a Jeju Air Boeing 737-800 series aircraft crashed and burst into flames at Muan International Airport in South Jeolla Province, some 288 kilometers southwest of Seoul on December 29, 2024. Jung Yeon-je, AFP/File

SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean authorities said on Wednesday they will change the concrete barriers used for navigation at some airports across the country after the Jeju Air crash that left 179 people dead.

The Boeing 737-800 was flying from Thailand to Muan in the southwest on December 29 carrying 181 passengers and crew when it belly-landed at Muan airport and exploded in a fireball after slamming into a concrete barrier.

It was the worst-ever aviation disaster on South Korean soil.

South Korean and US investigators are still probing the cause of the crash, which prompted national mourning with memorials set up across the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Attention has focused on several possible causes but questions have been raised about why the concrete barricade, known as a localizer and used to help planes navigate their landings, was at the end of the runway.

The Ministry of Land said in a statement that "a special safety inspection revealed that improvements are needed for localizers at seven airports around the country".

These include Muan and Jeju International Airport -- a popular tourist hotspot and the country's second-largest airport, after Incheon which serves the capital Seoul.

The measures include "relocating the foundations underground and replacing them with lightweight steel structures".

Muan International Airport's existing concrete mounds will be removed entirely and the localizer will be "reinstalled using breakable structures".

"This measure prioritizes actions requiring immediate attention," said Transport Minister Park Sang-woo.

"We plan to establish measures for bird strike prevention improvement and an aviation safety innovation plan through further investigations and reviews," he said.

At the moment of the accident, the pilot warned of a bird strike before pulling out of a first landing attempt. The plane crashed on its second attempt when the landing gear did not emerge.

Feathers were found in both engines, according to South Korean media reports, with a bird strike being examined as one possible cause.

According to the ministry, a comprehensive survey of bird-attracting facilities around airports began on Monday as part of the "bird strike prevention improvement plan".

The investigation was further clouded when the transport ministry said the black boxes holding the flight data and cockpit voice recorders for the crashed flight stopped recording four minutes before the disaster.

The land ministry said on Saturday that Muan airport's closure period had been extended three more months until April 18.

© Agence France-Presse

RELATED VIDEO:



ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.