Man nabbed for selling text blaster linked to ex-POGO employee | ABS-CBN

Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!
Man nabbed for selling text blaster linked to ex-POGO employee
Man nabbed for selling text blaster linked to ex-POGO employee
MANILA – Police have arrested a man for selling a SIM-based text blaster device he allegedly purchased from a former employee of a Philippine Offshore Gaming Operator (POGO).
MANILA – Police have arrested a man for selling a SIM-based text blaster device he allegedly purchased from a former employee of a Philippine Offshore Gaming Operator (POGO).
Lt. Wallen Arancillo, spokesperson of the Philippine National Police-Anti-Cybercrime Group (PNP-ACG), said the 49-year-old suspect was apprehended in an entrapment operation in Paco, Manila, on March 27 following an online transaction.
Lt. Wallen Arancillo, spokesperson of the Philippine National Police-Anti-Cybercrime Group (PNP-ACG), said the 49-year-old suspect was apprehended in an entrapment operation in Paco, Manila, on March 27 following an online transaction.
Authorities confiscated a SIM-based GSM blaster, one SIM box unit, and an 8-port device from the suspect.
Authorities confiscated a SIM-based GSM blaster, one SIM box unit, and an 8-port device from the suspect.
“Maaari po itong gamitan ng mga SIM cards since meron po itong SIM card slots at bawat SIM card po ay maaaring makapagpadala ng libu-libong mensahe,” Arancillo said.
“Maaari po itong gamitan ng mga SIM cards since meron po itong SIM card slots at bawat SIM card po ay maaaring makapagpadala ng libu-libong mensahe,” Arancillo said.
ADVERTISEMENT
(This device can accommodate SIM cards since it has SIM card slots, and each SIM card can send thousands of messages.)
(This device can accommodate SIM cards since it has SIM card slots, and each SIM card can send thousands of messages.)
The device, which enables mass SMS broadcasting, is often exploited in text scamming activities.
The device, which enables mass SMS broadcasting, is often exploited in text scamming activities.
The suspect, according to Arancillo, claimed that he bought the device from a security guard who previously worked at a POGO for ₱5,000.
The suspect, according to Arancillo, claimed that he bought the device from a security guard who previously worked at a POGO for ₱5,000.
“Napag-alaman natin na noong isinara na ‘yong mga POGO na ito, ay kumuha ng mga devices o mga gamit doon ‘yong mga nagta-trabaho,” Arancillo said.
“Napag-alaman natin na noong isinara na ‘yong mga POGO na ito, ay kumuha ng mga devices o mga gamit doon ‘yong mga nagta-trabaho,” Arancillo said.
(We discovered that when these POGO establishments closed, some employees took devices and other equipment from the premises.)
(We discovered that when these POGO establishments closed, some employees took devices and other equipment from the premises.)
The suspect, who is now in the custodial facility of the PNP-ACG, refused to answer media queries.
The suspect, who is now in the custodial facility of the PNP-ACG, refused to answer media queries.
Authorities said he will face charges for violating the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012 in relation to the Radio Control Act, as investigations into the case continue.
Authorities said he will face charges for violating the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012 in relation to the Radio Control Act, as investigations into the case continue.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT