Philippines to train with US Typhon missile system in February | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Philippines to train with US Typhon missile system in February

Philippines to train with US Typhon missile system in February

Bianca Dava,

ABS-CBN News

 | 

Updated Jan 28, 2025 07:15 PM PHT

Clipboard

Typhon Mid-Range Capability (MRC) launcher developed by the US Army. Courtesy of Capt. Ryan Debooy, US Army/File

MANILA (UPDATED) — The Philippine Army on Tuesday said the US' Mid-Range Capability (MRC) missile system recently transferred to an undisclosed location in the country would be used in the upcoming Combined Arms Training Exercise (CATEX) Katihan in February.

But Army spokesperson Col. Louie Dema-ala said the use of the Typhon missile launchers will be limited to subject matter expert exchanges (SMEEs), which will focus on the orientation and familiarization of the capability.

“The second iteration of the SMEEs with the MRC between the US Army Pacific (USARPAC) and the Army Artillery Regiment will focus on the payload delivery system and the continuation of what we have learned in the first iteration of the SMEE,” Dema-ala told reporters in a press briefing.

The CATEX Katihan, which will be conducted on the second or third week of February, is in preparation for the annual Salaknib Exercise between the Philippine Army and the US Army.

ADVERTISEMENT

“New units will be involved in the training and a continuation of the previous platoon that was trained last year,” Dema-ala said.

The official also underscored the importance of studying and training Army personnel on the MRC missile system.

“As mentioned previously by the CGPA, we are proposing for the same capabilities. So, kaya hangga’t nandito ang MRC, we will maximize yung kanyang utilization to train our personnel sa mga ganitong new technology,” Dema-ala said.

Armed Forces of the Philippines spokesperson Col. Francel Margareth Padilla on Friday stressed that no country can dictate how the Philippines can deploy assets in its territory following Beijing’s call to Manila to pull out the Typhon missile launchers. 

“It’s an inherent right of every state to strengthen their defenses accordingly. How we will go about it is for us to freely do. Walang pwedeng magdikta sa atin how we would do it,” Padilla said.

The weapon system arrived in the country in April 2024 and was first used during the Balikatan exercises. This marked the first deployment of the ground-based MRC missile system in the Indo-Pacific. 

It has stayed in the country ever since, and was last spotted in Laoag City, Ilocos Norte.


RELATED VIDEO: 



ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.